Thursday, May 19, 2011

Those Cavedudes Had it Right

The Paleo Diet encourages the consumption of foods found in nature, unmodified and unprocessed as much as possible. So, for the typical American diet full of grains, pastas, dairy, etc...it doesn't quite fit.

I'm so eating you tonight, badger.
I can vouch for the fact that including grains and dairy in your diet can cause extra pounds. I've transitioned to more strict paleo way of eating and in 10 days I've lost 7.4 lbs. This seems like an unhealthy amount, but some of it is water weight. I'm eating more than my fill of lean meats, veggies, and fruits. It is the closest to the natural, original diet of our ancestors.

Sure, perhaps cavemen did not live very long, but that's more because they were stabbed by a mammoth or suffered an infection after taking a fall. No cavemen had diabetes. No cavemen had heart disease or high blood pressure. These are diseases of affluence post-agriculture. Sure, these foods helped us be prolific, but they also produced life-threatening diseases.

My challenge to those that are dubious about this is to eat this way for 2-4 weeks. I feel so much more energetic and clear headed than when I am eating foods other than meat, fruits, and veg. The weight loss side effect is also amazing! Some say that it also improves acne, allergies, and can help diabetics no longer require insulin.

I believe our health is the most important aspect of our life. We sure are living longer than ever, but how healthy are we at the end?? We need to remain healthy and active to ensure a high quality of life after our 50s and 60s.

No comments:

Post a Comment