Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Great Eggs-periment!

The center top egg is your regular chicken egg. 
Muahahahaha....*ahem* sorry, I got a bit too excited about the various foul eggs I now have in my possession. I am lucky to have a variety of Asian markets in my area, so I came across duck and quail eggs in my shopping this week. It is unusual for the average American to have anything other than a chicken egg in their fridge, so our excitement isn't completely unfounded!

In our normal fashion when purchasing unfamiliar food, we google'd it.

Quail Eggs
Generally considered a delicacy. Some street vendors abroad top hamburgers/sandwiches with a hard boiled quail eggs. I've seen them fried on top of dishes at fancy restaurants, too.

You can cook hardboil them in 3 minutes. They have a light flavor similar to chicken eggs.

Duck Eggs
Look at the size of that duck yolk!
Larger than chicken eggs in both yolk and overall size. The egg whites also contain more protein so it is easier to overcook and produce tougher eggs. If you love yolks, you'll love duck eggs!

You can use duck eggs in place of chicken eggs in any recipe. In fact, they actually produce fluffier baked goods and firmer egg dishes (as I experienced with this week's quiche). They have a slightly different taste to regular eggs and a different yolk texture.

Eggs of all varieties are a great food to eat for the average paleolithic eater. Even if you aren't subscribed to that way of eating, that's ok! Eggs, especially Omega 3 eggs, are a great source of protein/amino acids and good cholesterol. It's also better to get farm fresh eggs, which I am in the process of acquiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment